December 8, 2010

Blasphemy !

Wow. Wow to the max. Guess what, fellow readers?! I am declared an outlaw of England. Yeah, apparently, my fellow men did not find our antics the least bit hilarious. Here’s the whole story- my friend, Thomas Potter and I decided to make a parody of Alexander Pope’s “An Essay on Man” and John Montagu, 4th Earl of Sandwich. We named our masterpiece “An Essay on Women”. I should probably note that Montagu was also a member of the Hellfire Club, which I was in... So it probably wasn’t a good idea to mess around with him. Anyways, our dear John here and I have had some bad past, and he jumped on any chance to take revenge on me, that sly wretch. Montagu read the poem to the House of the Lords, in which he made me look bad, saying our poem was obscene and offensive. The Lords of agreed with that Montagu and the rage they had caused a great scandal. They proceeded to expel me from England, but being the smart cookie I was, I already fled from Paris, feeling the rising tension... but my tactics were stopped short as I was caught and accused for obscene literature and finally, declared and outlaw on January 19, 1764. I guess I could say that I am lucky that my fate was not like those in the past were every solution was death. I was brought back to England and tried again to run for a spot on the Parliament. I was elected a member of the Parliament for Middlesex, but after my glorious award, I was sentenced to King’s Bench Prison, where I will hang out for two years, along with a fine of 1,000 pounds. Let’s just hope my supporters will help me out a little here.. I need to get out! You will help me too won’t you?
SOURCE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Wilkes

No comments:

Post a Comment